As you probably know by now, we LOVE pasta in our house. In an effort to try to get Bailey to eat more fish, this dish has become a winner as it doesnt take overly ‘fishy’, and has become a failsafe for family entertaining (sorry for guests that are bored of it by now). It is true comfort food and great for storing leftovers for lunch the next day. I love it served with salad in the summer or broccoli/green beans and some fresh garlic bread in the autumn/winter.
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- olive oil
- a pinch of chilli flakes
- 3 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
- 1 bunch of fresh basil, leaves torn from stalk
- 500g dried penne pasta
- 2 x 180g tins of tuna chunks, drained
- 150g mature cheddar cheese, grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180 fan. Place a large shallow pan on a medium heat, adding 2 tablespoons of olive oil when the pan is hot. Add your chopped onion, garlic and chilli flakes and cook for 5-10 minutes, stirring continously until softened.
- Pour in your tins of chopped tomatoes, tear the basil into smaller pieces and add to the tomatoes. Turn the heat up to reach boiling point, then turn down to a low heat and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, boil the kettle and cook your dried pasta in a saucepan for just less than the specified cooking instructions on the packet, usually about 9 minutes. You want it just before al dente as it will continue cooking when in the oven. Drain in a colander.
- Stir the drained tinned tuna into the tomato sauce, don’t over do this as you don’t want it to break up too much. Season with salt and pepper.
- When your pasta is cooked and drained, add this also to the tomato sauce in the pan and combine so all the pasta is coated with the sauce.
- Transfer to a large ovenproof dish ensuring there is an even mix throughout.
- Add your grated cheese in a even coverage across your pasta in the dish. Season with salt and pepper, and drizzle with a little olive oil over the top.
- Place in the oven for 25-30 minutes, ensuring it is hot in the middle. Leave to settle for a minute, then divide into 6 even portions.
- Serve up with salad or green beans/peas or broccoli.