Autumn is definitely approaching and what better comfort food to eat than macaroni cheese. Bailey absolutely loves this dish!!! He used to love it with bacon included, now won’t touch it with bacon in it, aarrgghh! But still adores it with home-made chicken strips or just on its own.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 250g macaroni
- 125g smoked streaky bacon, chopped (if using)
- 40g unsalted butter
- 40g plain flour
- 600ml milk
- 2 tsp dijon or wholegrain mustard
- 125g mature cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 white slice bread
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees, 180 for fan ovens.
- If using bacon in your dish, heat the olive oil in a frying pan and cook your bacon until crispy, then set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook the macaroni for 5 minutes in boiling water, drain then return to the pan.
- Melt the butter in a separate saucepan, then stir in the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes whilst stirring.
- Turn the heat down to very low and gradually stir in the milk. Cook for 5-6 minutes, stirring continuously until smooth and thickened. Stir in the mustard and half the cheese. Season to taste.
- Add the bacon to the macaroni if using, then pour your sauce over the macaroni, tossing together to coat evenly. Transfer the macaroni to an ovenproof baking dish.
- Roughly tear apart your slice of bread (don’t use the crusts) and scatter over the top of your dish. Add the remaining half of the grated cheese and season with black pepper.
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden and piping hot. Cut into squared and serve with salad or green vegetables.